Sunday, April 2, 2017














March Thaw (Breakheart Reservation)
9 x 12 pastel Uart 400 grit 8 ply board

Everybody looks to the coming of Spring after a long, harsh Winter. Here in New England the colors of Winter start to melt into the upcoming season and the rejuvenation of the landscape.  

Having grown up in Saugus, where Breakheart is located, I have walked here, run here and enjoyed its peaceful vistas for years. My wife and I used to walk here often as well when she was battling cancer, she has since passed away, but her memory is in every step.  Likewise, since my recent back surgery limits my activity to only walking, I have been revisiting this special place located in my hometown.

It is said, that Union soldiers training in the area before heading south found the place so desolate and lonely, that it would “break your heart”. Years later during the Great Depression, the State of Massachusetts would acquire this area as a camp for the Civilian Conservation Corps. Today it consists of 640 acres, is open year round and has hiking trails and views of Boston, central Massachusetts and New Hampshire.

No comments: